About Me

My photo
California, United States
Hi! Thanks for visiting ^_^ My social media platforms: Instagram: meowmier Youtube: http://goo.gl/U5SnNM (formerly under the username francesvlogs but I don't have access to that anymore). I don't really do videos anymore simply because I think blog posts are more informative. Hope you enjoyed your time here! :)

Saturday, May 5, 2012

My guide to foundations

Hi guys!

So sometimes I got asked by girls to recommend foundation for their skin type?

Honestly I'm really no professional... at all XD  but I thought I can put together this post based on my personal experience. I have tried all foundations stated in this post, by the way. I have tried A LOT more foundations than these, but these are the ones I have very solid opinions about. I will keep this foundation recommendation list updated :)

And to be honest, I can make suggestions all day long, but when it comes to foundation, you really just gotta try it out on yourself. Everyone's skin react to products differently and consequently the products will wear differently. Also shades and coverage also play a huge role... and obviously your perception of heavy/light coverage might be different from mine. We all look for different things in a foundation, so really, you've just got to try it out for yourself. Makeup is really all about trial and error.

My best advice for ladies choosing for foundations... GET A SAMPLE!!!!
Seriously, do it. Don't be shy. It will save you a lot of money. And don't just try it on in stores, because the lighting is almost always deceiving. Get a sample. See how it wears throughout the day. A lot of foundations look phenomenal when you first put it on your face, but wears horribly at the end of the day. Examine the shade under natural sunlight, this will be the most accurate lighting to choose the right shade.

Good luck ;)

<3 Frances
=========================================================================

Now onto my suggestions:

Dry/Normal Skin:
In general, most moisturizing liquid foundations should work great for dry/normal skin. Other formulations like gel foundations, serum foundations, and cream foundations are also great.

I think Dry/Normal skin will appreciate...

- Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation
(medium-full coverage)
_5197562

- Laura Mercier Mineral Powder Foundation
(medium coverage)
(this foundation does oxidize and appear darker if you ever get oily)
(semi-matte finish)
_5782559

- Chantecaille Future Skin Gel Foundation
(light-medium coverage)
(I remember particularly this foundation doesn't cover black heads because of its gel consistency)
(semi-matte finish)
_6016841


- Diorskin 'Forever' Fluid Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup SPF25
(medium coverage)
(beautiful foundation but slips so easily on my normal/oily combination skin...)
(this foundation also contains alcohol. Avoid if that annoys you)
_6569856


- Dior Capture Totale Foundation
(medium-full coverage)
(this is a serum foundation)
(beautiful BEAUTIFUL foundation! but it separates/breaks down horribly on my face get I get oily)  
_6312129

- MAC Face and Body Foundation
(sheer-light coverage)
(dewy finish)
M52301


- Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua
(medium coverage)
(semi-matte finish)
_6356686

- Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF15
(light coverage)
_5756959 

- Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation 
(light-medium coverage)
(dewy finish)
(I have combination skin and this foundation still holds up reasonably well on my skin, you will look shiny/oily so powder it down. But it doesn't slip and slide).

healthy_mix_foundation

- NARS Sheer Glow Foundation 
(medium coverage)
(semi-dewy finish)
(I would say the same thing about this foundation as the Bourjois Healthy Mix-- I have combination skin and this foundation still holds up reasonably well on my skin, you will look shiny/oily so powder it down. But it doesn't slip and slide).

s1202167-main-Lhero 


- Burberry Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation
(I don't really agree that this is a sheer foundation. I think with the right brush you will be able to achieve light-medium coverage)
(This foundation really is only suitable for dry or normal skin. This foundation breaks down on my face when I get oily. So definitely stay away if you're combination/oily)
(dewy finish)
 
_6191183



- Josie Maran Argan Matchmake Serum Foundation
(light-medium coverage)
(semi-matte finish)
(This foundation is probably best for ppl with normal skin. I can work with it on my combination skin although it isn't the best. Prob not for dry skin especially if you have dry patches because it WILL accentuate it)

s1308121-main-Lhero


- Giorgio Armani Maestro foundation
(light-medium coverage)
(semi-matte finish)
(heavily silicone-based foundation)
(Prob the best for normal skin. Avoid if you have dry skin and especially if you have dry patches. I have combination skin and this foundation does not perform well on me so I'd say avoid if you're combination/oily)
_7237236

-YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat foundation
(light-medium coverage)
(gorgeous dewy finish)
(I think it's a beautiful foundation for dry and normal skin. It actually doesn't accentuate dryness that bad either. On my combination skin while it looks shiny on my oily areas, it doesn't move or fade so it works for me)


s1451608-main-Lhero



- Dior Diorskin Nude Skin-Glowing foundation
(medium-full coverage)
(beautiful semi-matte finish... although it's semi-matte it has a glow to it, but not dewy)
(I think this foundation would work best for dry/normal skin. It works fine on my combination skin but I do notice by the end of the day it'd start to cake into my expression lines a bit).
s1443480-main-Lhero
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combination skin (normal-oily):
Powder foundations that give matte finish generally work better for combination skin. Liquid foundations that give matte finish will work better as well. If you don't like matte finish, I suggest mixing a matte foundation with a dewy finish foundation, that way you get the best of both worlds-- I found this works a lot better than using a single foundation. Please note that the combination of mixed foundations is not going to keep you oil-free all day, I just found with this combination you don't look as greasy and at least the foundation wears well without slipping and sliding. Honestly my goal for my combination skin is to have foundations that don't slip off and don't appear like a oil slick, that's all. For combination skin, ALWAYS set your foundation with powder. And definitley avoid cream/gel foundations. Last suggestion-- avoid touching your face all together if you don't want to accidentally wipe foundation off your face-- that could easily happen especially when you get oily. For me, I especially do not touch my nose cuz that's where I get oily/need coverage.


I think Combination skin will appreciate...

- Lancome Maqui Blanc Miracle Natural Brightening Creator Compact Foundation
(medium-full coverage)
11070023540G_char_10_120206173833
-Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Matte Foundation SPF 15
(medium-full coverage)
_5900130

-Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet+ Matifying Foundation
(medium-full coverage)
(matte finish)
(I honestly think this is the best matte/oil control liquid foundation by far)
(I think this foundation is more suitable if you're very oily or you live somewhere that is very humid. My combination skin did not appreciate this foundation at all when I lived in Colorado where it is super dry-- it looked dry and unflattering on my skin. But now I live in Maryland I love it!) 
s988634-main-Lhero

- Make Up For Ever High Definition Foundation
(medium-full coverage)
(semi-matte finish)
(I read a lot of reviews saying that this foundation slips easily. I don't find it true on my combination skin. This foundation actually sits pretty well on my face)
s1096908-main-Lhero

- Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation
(full coverage)
(matte finish)
(this foundation is a lot like Makeup Forever Mat Velvet+ but much thicker. Mat Velvet+ has a runnier consistency and Lock-It doesn't really move around if you put it on the back of your hand)
s1398858-main-Lhero

- Chanel Perfection Lumiere
(medium coverage)
(semi-matte finish)
(I think combination can appreciate this foundation, but if you're more on the oilier side then probably not)
_6561110
























**********************************************************************************
In addition.... From what I've heard (not personal experience)


Combination/Oily skin will also appreciate...

-Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation hourglass





- Revlon ColorStay for Combination/Oily Skin
(full coverage?)

colorstaybuffjpg450


 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dry/Normal skin will appreciate...
 
-Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation

6867001_320x385







5 comments:

  1. I really want to try Vitalumiere aqua!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it possible to ask for samples in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have combination skin and have major issues with shine and slipping. I've used Clinique and Estée Lauder for years, because they seemed to do the best. Just switched to laura mercier mineral-- LOVE it. Matte all day long-- never need to blot. My eye makeup also holds much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using YSL teint touche eclat on dry skin was a realli bad idea..
    I moisturized well, used a primer, an didn't powder, but everyone was saying that my face looked realli dry (more dehydrated)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol everyone has really different experiences with makeup... sorry that TE didn't work out for you =/ thanks for the input!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts =) Please provide a link back so I can visit your blog too if you have one =D

Any spamming or advertising will be removed.