About Me

My photo
California, United States
Hi! Thanks for visiting ^_^ My social media platforms: Instagram: meowmier Youtube: http://goo.gl/U5SnNM (formerly under the username francesvlogs but I don't have access to that anymore). I don't really do videos anymore simply because I think blog posts are more informative. Hope you enjoyed your time here! :)

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Bumble and bumble Surf Spray Review

What's up everybody!

Today I bring you a hair product review. Haven't done a styling product review in such a long time O_O but that's because I don't normally use any lol.

SAM_7958


So I originally heard about this product from Jenn. Her hair always looks so gorgeous and effortless!

So let me be lazy here and just copy and paste the information from Sephora:

What it is:
A saltwater-based styling spray.

What it does:
This styling spray adds volume and texture to the hair to create a sexy, wind-blown feel. Its salt-infused formula adds fullness, hold, and a cool, matte finish. Salt water is no secret to editorial stylists for adding volume and texture, and anyone who has been in the ocean knows of that salty, sexy, sun-dried, wind-styled feel (that seems such a shame to wash out). So while Bumble and bumble hasn't exactly bottled the real thing, they've replicated and improved it, including seaweed and kelp extracts to enhance moisture.

What else you need to know:
Excellent for wavy types and landlocked surfers with winter blues, this spray adds body to fine hair and adds a nice texture for silver hair.


SAM_7960

SAM_7961

Ingredients:
SAM_7963



First let's see the product in action.

SAM_8024
This was my hair freshly curled, with nothing but my Aussie Hair Insurance. I did tighter curls that day, which generally isn't what I normally go for, but I will explain why later on in the post.


SAM_8028
Messed up my bangs so I pinned them out of the way LOL.


After putting about 6 squirts of hair spray on each side:
SAM_8032

SAM_8033
Looks more texturized, but that's because my hair was wet from the spray xD


SAM_8040
You can start to see the curls looking a lot less "perfect", and has more of that messy, casual look.
SAM_8042
Although I'm not sure if the messier look is from the hair spray or because I scrunched my hair a bit after applying the hair spray...
SAM_8043


After it's dried:
SAM_8046

SAM_8048

SAM_8050


About 4-5 hours later:
SAM_8062
My hair is naturally quite straight (minus the areas where I have natural curls), and this hair spray has no hold whatsoever, so the curls were pretty much gone. That is why I did pretty tight curls at the beginning, because I know my curls will fall out with this hair spray
SAM_8064

SAM_8071

So my thoughts on this hair spray?


Let's look at each claim:

This styling spray adds volume and texture to the hair to create a sexy, wind-blown feel
→ nope! What volume? Texture... it depends. When I use it on wavy hair (like the beachy hair I achieve with my Hot Tools Deep Waver), it just makes my hair more frizzy. This hair spray's effect is better manifested by this type of neat curls-- it kind of tones it down and gives it a more casual effect. But also I suspect that's because I scrunch my hair after putting this hair spray on... that might have contributed to the more casual, messy look? And I feel like my curls becomes more casual as the day wear on anyway.... the hair spray is not a must nor is it necessary to achieve the look.

 Its salt-infused formula adds fullness, hold, and a cool, matte finish.
nope! what fullness? And there is absolutely NO hold. Matte finish I agree.
 
 Salt water is no secret to editorial stylists for adding volume and texture, and anyone who has been in the ocean knows of that salty, sexy, sun-dried, wind-styled feel (that seems such a shame to wash out). So while Bumble and bumble hasn't exactly bottled the real thing, they've replicated and improved it, including seaweed and kelp extracts to enhance moisture. 
Enhance moisture? To be honest I feel like this hair spray actually dries out my hair... it gives that coarse feeling to my hair (which I suppose is where the texture comes in)

4 times I used this product, 4 times I noticed no difference. No volume, no hold. There's some texture, but I was expecting more. And like I mentioned before, it depends on what kind of curl I have. If it's the wavy hair, it just makes my hair frizzier than it already is (my hair always turns out on the frizzy side whenever I use the deep waver). I am all for the messy, effortless, tussled look, but that's different from frizzy hair -_-  With curly hair, the effect is more satisfactory. However, since there's no hold, I feel like this hair spray is kind of pointless? What's the point of adding texture to the hair if it's not gonna keep? I feel like for the price I pay, I want it to do both-- more texture, AND hold. I don't like the idea of having to go out and get another setting hair spray to make this hair style work. 

So in the end, I returned it. Feel like the effect is so minimal it's not worth the money. 

Have you guys tried the Surf Spray? Did you have any success with it? Too bad it didn't really work for me because I really wanted to love it =/

Have a great day everyone!
PS: This is a pre-typed post :P As you guys are reading it, I'm facing an endless battle of exams and cases. But I have March Hits & Misses in the works ^_^

<3 Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts =) Please provide a link back so I can visit your blog too if you have one =D

Any spamming or advertising will be removed.